8.29.2010

Finding my stride

I'd all but given up on running. I had really been struggling with the sport lately, and it had been very difficult to find the motivation to get out the door. Plus, I wasn't running in the morning, and I'd have to settle for running indoors either on the track or the treadmill, and I'd find myself just being hot and miserable. And I'd only end up running like 2 to 3 miles.

::sigh::

Then something happened last week - the temperature dropped about 10 degrees. Wednesday afternoon, I found myself with about an hour and a half until dinner time. The weather was gorgeous, and I decided to hit the road. I laced up my shoes and went outside. I thought that I'd do a quick 2 or 3 miles, since that was all I'd really been doing lately. But instead, I just kept on going, uncertain of how far I had gone, but really just using up all the time I had. Got home, mapped out my route, and found that I'd done 4.4 miles. I patted myself on the back, and felt amazing in general.

This morning, I slept about an hour longer than I'd planned, but I needed it. I know my body, and I know that I need 7 hours of sleep. That's my perfect number. Anyway, I got up and was out the door by 7:45. 1 hour and 15 minutes later, I'd run 6.15 miles. My run this morning was incredible. I felt like I was back in the game and on top of the world. There was no dragging along, no wondering when this would be over - it was just peaceful and natural and therapeutic.

I am running in a 10K on Labor Day. After my run this morning, I know without a doubt in my mind that I'll do fine. I'm not worried anymore. I'm exhilirated and ready for the challenge that lies before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment