9.07.2010

10K Success!

I spent the weekend camping out on the lake about an hour from our house. Enjoyed being with friends, but definitely didn't get the rest that I needed. Plus, I went tubing on Saturday, so I was really sore throughout my shoulders and upper body. Nonetheless, I set out early Monday morning in hopes of completing my 10K in good time.

I had my cheering section there for me - Mom, Dad, mother-in-law. My husband decided that he would race with me as well. Well, not exactly with me, because he is faster. But he was participating. With no training. If only I could be like him! Someday...

Anyway, the race started promptly at 7:30 am. We'd actually been awake since 4:30, having to drive an hour to the site, plus needing time to get ready and have breakfast. So by race time, I was pretty tired. But once I crossed that start line, I never looked back.

Miles 1 and 2 were pretty hilly, but I knew that once I got past there, I'd be golden. I made my way up those hills and felt great. Crossed the 3 mile marker and realized that I was making pretty good time. Around mile 4, the insides of my lower legs started to ache, but it wasn't anything that would keep me from continuing. I just focused on my breathing and my stride and kept on going. A couple times I got a side stitch, but I managed to work it out.

After mile 5, I started listening to two songs on repeat: "The World's Greatest" by R. Kelly and "Survivor" by Destiny's Child. They always keep me going. :-)

Once I hit mile 6, I stopped the music completely and just took in all the sights and sounds around me. I made my final turn and could see the finish line looming ahead. I ran with all that I had and as I crossed the finish line, I could hear my family cheering for me. It was such a wonderful feeling! To know that I had set a goal for myself and I'd trained for months and now I'd actually accomplished that goal. I'd been hoping to come in under 1:15. I crossed the finish line in 1:08:15. Record time for me!

I felt amazing for the rest of the day. Really proud of myself and thankful that I've made this change in my life. I've regained my love for running and I'm ready for more races. My next one is a 4 miler on Thanksgiving Day. Although there may be a 5K I'll do on Halloween. I think that I'm addicted to races. I love the atmosphere and being surrounded by people who are all working towards a common goal.

I'm proud of what I have accomplished. I know that anything is possible, you just have to be willing to put in the hard work and dedication.

2 comments:

  1. I'm smiling ear to ear! I loved listening to your excitement on your voicemail...and now reading this...so great. :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Congrats! That's awesome timing! :)

    ReplyDelete