I'd noticed that on my longer runs (5 miles or so), I was getting light-headed after finishing, or I would have to stop and take a break before I could finish. My husband suggested that I eat something before going on those long runs. (I'd been getting up in the morning and heading out without eating). So this morning, I had oatmeal made with almond milk, put in a spoonful of peanut butter, and added some walnuts. Topped it all with honey, and it was delightful.
I ran about an hour after eating, to give myself time to digest, etc. On the schedule for today was a 6 mile run. I think that my breakfast did the trick because I was able to get through that run in 1:06:45. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. And I was not light-headed when I finished. Throughout the run, I would drink a little water every mile or so, just to stay hydrated. I paced myself, too; started off slowly, then built up to normal speed.
A year ago, this six mile run would not have happened. A year ago, a one mile run would have been out of the question, too. It makes me smile to think about how far I've come in the last year.
Tomorrow is the 16th annual RC Cola and Moon Pie Festival here in town. Yep, I live in an odd little place. Love it though! We're having a cookout and having some friends and family over to celebrate. There is a 10 mile run that happens before all other festivities; I'm not running it though. I have no desire to run that race - ever. It is so hot and the course is insane. Stranger things have happened though... maybe next year. ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment