I surprised myself this morning. I ran 7 miles and it was fabulous! It wasn't an easy start, but man it was a great finish. But let me start at the beginning...
I set my alarm for 4:45 am. I know! When that alarm went off, I thought I was crazy, too. I stayed in bed for about 20 minutes, just waking up slowly. Finally got up and started getting myself ready. I grabbed a banana and two bottles of water, and hopped in my car. I had to drop those water bottles off on my route. I think I finally figured out how to combat carrying water with me on my runs! Just drop bottles off, drink, and toss the bottles. (And don't worry, I went back to pick up those bottles after my run).
Despite all that, I still wasn't feeling it when I got home. 7 miles seemed like such a daunting task. But I started out on my journey. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - those first couple of miles suck. You just have to push on through though. That's exactly what I did. Right around mile 2.5 there was the first of two big hills. I was dreading it, but when I got to the top, I thought, "Well that wasn't too bad." I got some water and kept on going.
Before I knew it, I'd run another 2.5 miles and was facing my second hill. Now that one was a killer, but I didn't give up. Got my water right after I'd gotten over the top and knew that I was on the home stretch. I felt energized and strong. When I had about half a mile left, I was doing some calculations in my head for the time I'd be running. I was shooting for under a 12:30 mile, so I had to come in under 1:30. I glanced at my watch and I had time left, but I wanted to sprint to the finish line. I ended up running 7.05 miles in 1 hour 26 minutes and 17 seconds.
I felt amazing after that run! It was a total contrast to the run I did on Thursday. I needed that little reminder of what I'm capable of.
And now, here's a quote that keeps me going:
I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday. ~Author Unknown
No comments:
Post a Comment