Yesterday I was definitely feeling sorry for myself. Instead of moping around at home, I took Ginger to the dog park for a couple of hours. She had a wonderful time and I got to be the social butterfly and talk to people. All was right with the world.
We ended up going on a little stroll through the park; nothing too strenuous though since I was supposed to be resting. Last night when I got home, I felt this renewed spirit within me and I went to bed vowing to get up in the morning and run. I wasn't scheduled to run today, but I decided that I'd rather run today than on Saturday.
So I didn't get up as early as I wanted to, but I still went out and that's what matters most. I had a 7 mile journey ahead of me, and I was determined to get through it. Actually, I started out twice because the first time I realized that my mp3 player didn't have any battery life. So I had to head back home to remedy that problem.
I was pretty slow starting out, but I wasn't too concerned with speed. I just wanted to run the whole time and finish the task at hand. I left my water bottle at the 4 mile mark so that I could grab it on my second loop. I have never been so happy as I was seeing that water bottle! I was doing solid 12 minute miles at that point, so I was pleased.
Although I did slow down for the final 3 miles. I blame the water. :-) Of course I was happy to have it, but I just don't like dealing with carrying something while I run. Not sure how to remedy this situation just yet... perhaps a water belt is going to be my newest purchase.
Anyway, I did slow down somewhat, but I finished strong: 7 miles in 1 hour 27 minutes and 36 seconds. I was about half mile away from the end and I walked a couple steps and promptly thought, "Why the heck am I walking?" and pushed myself back to a run.
I'm very proud of the 7 mile run this morning for several reasons. First, it is just proof of how far I've come in the last year. One year ago, if you had told me that I'd be running 7 miles, I would have laughed. Second, I ran the whole time (ok, except for those 3 or 4 steps where I walked). And last, I did it.
When I started this training program a month ago, I was so unsure about running these long distances. Now, I'm not scared anymore. I know that I can do it and that my body is up to the challenge. I've also learned that I need to let my body rest so that I can go out there and run these long distances.
I'm proud of myself.
Oh and the thing that made me smile was that the song "The World's Greatest" started playing as I started my final half mile. The lyrics to that song have always inspired me, especially the chorus. So I'll leave you with words that get me going and always make me feel good:
I'm that star up in the sky
I'm that mountain peak up high
Hey, I made it
I'm the world's greatest
And I'm that little bit of hope
When my backs against the ropes
I can feel it
I'm the world's greatest
SOOO PROUD!
ReplyDelete